If you’re a business of any kind, chances are you’re using email on a daily basis. A significant portion of email users across the world use Microsoft Exchange Server to support their daily business operations with email, voicemail, calendaring, contacts and more. If you’re one of them, you may be wondering about upgrading to MS Exchange 2010, which was released at the end of last year.
We’ve outlined some of the new features and key benefits to Microsoft Exchange 2010 for hedge funds and investment firms looking to upgrade or migrate to this platform.
New Features of Microsoft Exchange 2010
- Multi-mailbox search: Beneficial to the e-discovery process, Exchange 2010 users can perform searches across multiple users’ mailboxes.
- Database availability groups (DAG): These groups allow you to designate multiple servers to host copies of individual databases, which are no longer server-specific.
- Voice mail transcription: In addition to receiving a voice mail message as an email attachment (circa Exchange 2007), Exchange 2010 users will also receive their voice mails in text form via the use of a speech recognition program.
- Personal mail archive: Each user can have two mailboxes – one primary and one archived. This allows users to keep their primary mailboxes organized and uncluttered.
- Database-level failover: With Exchange 2010, failures will only affect single databases, as opposed to entire servers containing multiple databases.
Key Benefits to Microsoft Exchange 2010
In October 2009, Forrester Consulting began research into the economic impact of Exchange 2010 on businesses. Below is a summary of the results they achieved:
- Cost Avoidance of Storage
o Customers interviewed by Forrester remarked that they saved on storage costs by as much as 20% to 30%. With increased mailbox sizes, customers indicated they no longer needed to invest significantly in additional storage hardware to support email overload.
- Fewer Help Desk Calls
o Due to Exchange 2010’s increase in self-service capabilities, which allow individuals to perform simple role-based tasks without having to call their Help Desk, some businesses reported a decline in overall Help Desk calls.
- Cost Avoidance of Mobility
o Exchange 2010 can support the extension of emails, calendars and contacts to a variety of smartphones (including Windows mobile devices, Blackberrys, and Apple products), which reduces the need for third-party mobile middleware packages.
- Enhanced Communication Security
o Exchange 2010 has increased spam-filtering capabilities, which many customers reported allowed them to cease work with third-party spam-filtering applications.
o With Exchange 2010, businesses can delegate a new Web-based multi-mailbox search capability to a specialist user, such as a compliance officer, to make the e-discovery process easier and more centralized.
To read the complete results of Forrester’s research, visit http://www.microsoft.com/exchange.
Eze Castle Integration is a Microsoft Gold Certified Partner, and is proud to have worked closely with Microsoft on a number of intitiatives. One example is our recent participation in a video for the Microsoft Big Easy Offer, which pays customers subsidy funds when they purchase one or more qualifying Microsoft products. Check out our video now!
Eze Castle Integration’s engineers are adept at Exchange 2010 upgrade and migration processes. If you would like more information, please contact us.
- Five Years Later: How Bernie Madoff Has Transformed the Investment Industry
- The Who, What, When and Where of the Bad, Bad Cryptolocker Ransomware
- Expert Tips for Launching a Hedge Fund in a New Environment
- Answering the FCA's Dear CEO Letter on Outsourcing with Some Practical Steps
- Reflecting on What We're Thankful For This Thanksgiving
- business continuity planning
- cloud computing
- data loss prevention
- disaster recovery
- eze castle milestones
- hedge fund due diligence
- hedge fund marketing
- hedge fund operations
- hedge fund regulation
- help desk
- high frequency trading
- launching a hedge fund
- privacy compliance
- project management
- real estate
- startup & relocation
- trends we're seeing
- videos and infographics